HISTORY OF THE ROYAL MALAYSIAN NAVY
HMS Laburnum - The pride of the MRNVR
As World War II approached, the British quickly formed a Malay Section of the Royal Navy with the absorption of MRNVR members and fresh recruits. Established on 4 September 1939,it was called the Royal Navy Malay Section or simply as the Malay Navy. The section was based at HMS Pelandok training camp in Sembawang naval base, Singapore. The Malay Navy expanded rapidly from 400 men in 1939 to 1430 men in 1941. However, at the outbreak of the war, only 158 British officers and 650 local seaman remained as the others had finished their contract by that time. When Singapore fell to the Japanese in 1942, only about 150 men of the Malay Navy were safely evacuated to Ceylon (Sri Lanka), East Africa and India. These men later returned with the Liberation Force in September 1945 and a total of 650 men reported back for duty after the war. Unfortunately, due to post-war financial constraints, the Malay Navy was disbanded in April 1947.
HMS Pelandok of the MNF
The MNF was firstly equipped with a River-class frigate, HMS Test that was used as a training ship but by 1950 had in service an ex-Japanese minelayer HMS Laburnum, a Landing Craft Tank (LCT), HMS Pelandok, motor fishing vessel HMS Panglima, torpedo recovery vessel HMS Simbang(Erratum) and several seaward defence motor launches (SDML). The vessels of the Force were later renamed with the prefix Malayan Ship(MS) to differentiate them from Royal Navy units.
The main patrol units of the MNF are SDML's like above
In May 1950, the deactivated Battleship HMS Malaya ship's bell was presented by the The Royal Navy to the MNF as a mark of honour and appreciation for their service. The Malayan Naval Force was again honoured when in August 1952 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, bestowed the title 'Royal Malayan Navy' Singapore to the MNF in recognition of her sterling service in action during the Malayan Emergency. The navy's ships now carried the prefix Her Majesty's Malayan Ship(HMMS) and subsequently flew her own white ensign on 31 December 1956.
The KD Sri Langkawi was the forerunner of the navy's amphibious force.